Crowns and Fillings
Many patients wonder why they need a filling. Very simply, a filling returns health to compromised teeth allowing you to keep a healthy smile for years to come. Here are a few of the most common reasons we recommend fillings:
- Decay- One of the most common dental problems both children and adults face is decay. Even when patients brush and floss diligently, cavities can still occur. The sooner we can spot decay and take action, the more of your natural tooth structure we can preserve.
- Tooth Fracture- Though teeth are very strong, biting, accidents, or sports injuries can cause your tooth to fracture. A filling can often repair the fracture and return strength to your tooth.
- Replacing Old Fillings- Fillings don’t last forever. Wear and tear causes cracks allowing debris and decay inside your tooth. You may also decide that you’d like to replace dark, amalgam fillings with tooth-colored resin.
At Jackson’s Dental Center, we use tooth-colored fillings to treat decay and fracture, and to replace old fillings. This helps to keep your smile bright and natural looking.
There are times with a tooth is too compromised by decay to place a filling. Dental crowns, sometimes called caps, fit snugly over the tooth strengthening and protecting the remaining structure. Why do you need a crown? Here are a few of the reasons:
- Cracked Tooth- Teeth crack from grinding, clenching, or simply biting down on something hard. There’s a reason your mother told you not to use your teeth to open things, and this is it!
- Advanced Decay- We do our best to keep as much of your natural tooth as possible. However, a tooth with advanced decay might be too damaged for a filling and require a crown.
Our onsite dental lab crafts beautiful, lifelike crowns. Each is custom-made to match your smile so that it blends seamlessly.
Keep in mind that decay, cracks, and old fillings can be a problem before you feel pain. With regular visits, we can often spot problems before discomfort sets in. Make sure to call our Atlanta general dentistry office for your six month appointment today!